Soul Cages - Craft CD (album) cover

Soul Cages

4 stars Mainstream progressive metal is supposed to be catchy, long, or heavy or atmospheric. Germany's Soul Cages is not exactly those things, although they sure can double-kick a bass drum or sweep you with a pensive melody. They require repeated listens, even their more accessible album, Moments, took me some and even made upgrade rating. Kudos to Soul Cages for faithfully pursuing their alternatively clean/distorted sound, classically influenced non-linear songs with those subtle instrumental fills. They use synths, but more often create textures with two guitars, and I am always a sucker for two guitars in prog. Interesting for Soul Cages is that they don't frontload their albums (the last song here is actually my favorite) and include a short classical instrumental piece in each. Vocalist can use both melancholic and forceful singing, but heavy accented. Nice female voice occasionally joins in. Compared to Moments, they kicked up the power in their production a bit, but I think that in the process sacrificed some of the wonderful melodies.
Progrussia | 4/5 |