Soul Cages - Soul Cages CD (album) cover

Soul Cages

4 stars Soul Cages is a German progressive rock/metal band that released 3 underappreciated albums in the 90s before taking a 14 year break (I have yet to get my hands on their comeback, Moon). They create non-linear, rhythmically complex songs consisting of clean, melancholic passages and heavier sections, but those are more noisy than heavy. Production is very clear, shining light on all the instruments and bringing out the textures created by twin guitars (usually one lighter, another heavier), prominent bass and the occasional keyboard. Elements of power metal and also of 80s synth pop. Two vocalists - the main is strong, manly and expressive but highly accented, the backing is a subtle female. This may sound like a study in contrasts, but actually it is quite accessible with smooth enough transitions. The only reason I am not rating this higher is that I know that Soul Cages a capable of even more.
Progrussia | 4/5 |