Brother Ape - A Rare Moment Of Insight CD (album) cover

A RARE MOMENT OF INSIGHT

Brother Ape

buddyblueyes
4 stars This affirms what makes this site so very special. First, a big thanks to BrufordFreak and the review of the new Brother Ape album, Force Majeure. I went and downloaded their previous album, A Rare Moment Of Insight, based off his current review. BrufordFreak is absolutely right... how did that album get by us all??? It's progressive, fresh -- a sound that is very easy to get lost in. This album is a treat, perfectly executed and with great production!

I also agree, this is NOT a jazz rock/ fusion album and does not belong in this category at all. I'd have to say the band reminds me of a result of an unwanted pregnancy between Mystery and MuteMath and belongs in the Post Rock / Math Rock division. The drumming parallels Darren King's style -- a low-fi, bombastic, drum-n-bass approach, but the band has created their own thing here. The music has everything -- atmosphere, dynamics, electronics, unique musical explorations, creative arrangements and production, a great singer and solo sections that don't noodle on and on, but provides substance and gravity to the direction of the music as a whole. There is a spacey energy with this album that just flows. I've listened to the album 3 times in a row now and I'm finding new sonic discoveries with every listen. Will it stand the test of time? That's the test for 5 stars from this reviewer, but so far a solid 4+ stars.

Good ears BrufordFeak! Powerful stuff indeed. This is one of the better albums!

buddyblueyes | 4/5 |