Kerrs Pink - Mystic Spirit CD (album) cover

MYSTIC SPIRIT

Kerrs Pink

Prog Folk

DrömmarenAdrian
3 stars Kerrs Pink is a Norwegian prog band which has done six studio records since 1980 and "Mystic Spirit" is their sixth record. I suppose the band has changed their sound a lot since then because this doesn't feel like traditional prog. The cover picture is dramatic and shows beautiful bare tree and a dynamic sky. The band is madu up by Eirikur Hauksson (lead vocals), Harald Lytomt(guitars), Per Langsholt(bass and bass pedals), Glenn Fosser(keyboards) and Magne Johansen(drums and percussion).

Firstly I fell i love with the first song "Final Curtain"(9/10) which feels almost like folk prog. The dramatic and emotional melody feels like something known inside me, perhaps a Swedish film theme or something. There is a beautiful melody however and I enjoyed the singers voice. The sound of accordion was among the most lovely features. I would have loved more accordion. The unfortunately nothing stands up to the same level of beauty. The short "Until I know"(7,5/10) is a short and lovely symphonic piece with acoustic parts and the almost instrumental "Secluded"(7,5/10) is close to very good with great keyboards and vocals sounding like Phil Collins. I also like "Slaves of the west"(7/10) which perhaps is the most symphonic of the records tracks with hints of Camel, even if it's too heavy. In "The Storm" I notified a nice bass line(7/10) and the sweeping melody of "In Immorality"(7/10) reminded me of the Swedish opera work "Tonerna" which most famous performance feautured Jussi Björling. I can't help feeling the similarity. Kerrs Pink has some classical lines also sounding little like film music. The rest of the songs aren't so interesting.

I would say this record is too long to really be enjoyed, a big problem among new releases! I would also have appreciated more folk elements in the music. My problem with Kerrs Pink is that I think they're too heavy sometimes and I think they're not going to a level they could have gone with their capacity. I like the vocals which sometimes sounds like Phil Collins so I will also explore Magic Pie's music. A good record with some tracks I enjoy but not any prog monsters in my opinion. Three stars!

DrömmarenAdrian | 3/5 |