Steve Hackett - Voyage Of The Acolyte CD (album) cover

VOYAGE OF THE ACOLYTE

Steve Hackett

Hans
3 stars "Voyage" is the second Hackett album that I bought, the first being "Spectral Mornings". I was really impressed by Steve's compositions in SM so I decided to get his debut album right away, since it was supposedly his best.

"Voyage" begins with "Ace of Wands" - the highlight (IMO) of the album - featuring great playing by Steve and the rest of the band. The Genesis sound is very present in the music, not only on "Ace" but on the entire album (Collins and Rutherford also play on every track). "Hands of the Priestess", "The Hermit" & "The Lovers" are all acoustic, classical-oriented ballads, each one perfectly executed but neither very memorable. "A Tower Struck Down" has a nice rhythm - much like the one in Apocalypse in 9/8. "Star of Sirius" is my second favorite track with Phil Collins singing lead vocals and Steve's great electric guitar work. The closing track and the epic of the album - "Shadow of the Hierophant" - didn't really reach my expectations but is a good closer nonetheless.

This is an outstanding album considering it was Steve's first solo effort, but I wouldn't put it in the same level as the masterpieces he created with Genesis. An excellent addition for symphonic fans though.

Hans | 3/5 |