Mike Oldfield - Islands CD (album) cover

ISLANDS

Mike Oldfield

OGTL
2 stars Quite astounding for the year (I consider 1985-1990 to be the worst period that music has ever been through. The quality of releases in those years where unbelievably terrible.)

During the 80's, Oldfield released many albums in the format of this one, a side that had his true musical desires exhibited, and the other side being top 20 hits so he could still sell records. This is the best compromise I would have expected him to make, a true showing of adaptability. I think this was a good choice, and since the commercialism of the shorter songs, maybe some Progheads were converted when they listened to the "real" part of the record. Be thankful he didn't take the route of Yes or Genesis.

Side one is a decent epic, The Wind Chimes. Though not on par with the earlier works, a very good effort. It has many World influences, some techno, and I get a "90's film soundtrack" atmosphere when listening to it. There are some excellent parts, which would have fit well with "Amarok" and alot of dull parts, mostly the weak melodies present in some passages.

Side two I will not discuss, and if you happen to acquire this album, I suggest you stay far away from that portion.

Not one of his best, though a good selection from his 80's period. Reccomended for "The Wind Chimes" after you have listened up to Crises. A tenative "Fans only" work.

OGTL | 2/5 |