Yes - Going for the One CD (album) cover

2 stars This album.... no matter how many times I listen and try and like it. I would have listened to it more than ten times.

The songs themselves aren't bad. But the sound... it's seems like they don't care at all about Jon Andersons vocals. Even when he's singing he has to try and fit it within a very limited space, and all the while Howe and Wakeman are soloing over the top of him.

So, given that background, I would say the songs themselves are actually very nice. 'Wondrous stories' and 'Turn of the century' are beautiful baroque ballads with very tender vocals (if you can hear them above the sharp tones of the acoustic guitar), the title track is a catchy piece of 'hillbilly prog' if you like, and 'Awaken' is a very beautiful song. However, my favourite track is 'Parralells', a funky, organ driven song.

Who knows, I might agree with those four star reviews if this had a proper mix which actually cared about vocals...

Brendan | 2/5 |