Yes - Fragile CD (album) cover

FRAGILE

Brendan
4 stars I didn't think I would like this one... but Yes weren't fully into the business of burying the vocals in the mix, that process had just started.

What is fragile? There's a bunch of fractured little pieces and three very impressive songs in the 7 - 11 minute range. Actually, that's a bit misleading, I really like 'Five percent for nothing', it's a very nice tune. I'm not kidding, it's one of my favourites and blends nicely with the likes of 'The fish' and 'South side of the sky' - speaking of which, that last tune, MAN I love that song. I mean as far as I can genuinely enjoy Yes.

For the most part I fully understand the lyrics and the meaning of the songs. 'Southside of the sky' is more or less brits complaining about the weather, 'Heart of the sunrise' is about the loneliness of the city, and the lack of anything spiritually pleasing. 'Roundabout' is a psychedelic love song, at least I guessed that what it was about.

While progressing into the 70's, this album is still a bit late 60's pscyhedelic rock sounding. It's a great collection of songs and if it's not five stars, it is definitely worth four stars and is probably in their top 3 albums ever (!)

Brendan | 4/5 |