Porcupine Tree - Lightbulb Sun CD (album) cover

LIGHTBULB SUN

Porcupine Tree

Eclipse
3 stars Although i prefer Sky Moves and In Absentia much more to this one, i still like it because of its occasionally catchy music, though not as deep as i like. I never liked albums whose themes are "i'm a sad teenager who can't get a girlfriend and i enjoy drawning in my own self-pity", or anything related or similar to that. I think such messages can induce negative feelings for socially weak persons, who haven't learnt to work on their emotional intelligence. Music is to feed the soul, and not to rise depression feelings. So, if you are sad because the hot chick or the handsome guy of your classroom doesn't want you, go listen to Close to the Edge or anything like that, upbeat and happy. There's no reason to go deeper and deeper on the blackhole of depression and self shame. That's why i don't give too high ratings for PT or Radiohead albums, musically both bands are very different, but their messages are very similar most of times.

But, back to the album, here we have some nice PT gems, with some FLOYDian accents (it impresses me that some of the same people who complain about ELOY ripping the FLOYD off occasionally are fans of this particular band), and a dark atmosphere. I think "Russian on Ice" is overrated, but tracks like "Feel So Low", "Last Chance...", the title track and its catchy riff, the second track and its floydian copycat face, "Rest Will Flow" and "Hatesong" are all good and make this album worthy. I don't agree with the message of these tracks though. I don't listen to music to remember my bad love experiences, it would be a stupid kind of nostalgia, after all. So, i prefer to ignore what's being said on the not so impressive lyrics here.

A nice PT effort, but there's much better stuff done by this band before and after Lightbulb Sun.

Eclipse | 3/5 |