Corde Oblique - Per Le Strade Ripetute CD (album) cover

Corde Oblique

Prog Folk

kenethlevine
Prog-Folk Team
3 stars Riccardo Prencipe is to be commended for diligently performing and recording for the last 8 years as the leader of ethereal folk group CORDE OBLIQUE. Every other year he offers a meticulously and lovingly prepared disk of finely aged yet ageless beauty. "Per La Strade Ripetute" is no exception, yet it is not necessarily what I would have expected after 2011's "Hail of Bitter Almonds".

Indeed the group had been slowly, steadily and classily incorporating pop elements ever since their 2nd release, yet here we find a retrenchment of sorts into the more downbeat gothic sentiments and tempos of their debut. One of the aspects I really enjoy is the greater variety of violin phrasings, which is notable from the very first note of the first track, and carried to its fitting climax on the stunning instrumental "Uroboro". Conversely, Prencipe has entirely retreated from the lead microphone, which is disappointing given his hypnotic performances on tracks like "Together Alone" and "My Harbour", among others, on prior collections. Some other highlights are "My Pure Amethyst", where I continue to discern a ponderously strummed CRANBERRIES influence, and a grand guitar instrumental "Requiem for a Dream".

While the resplendent sound is intact, "Per La Strade Ripetute" generally lacks the excitement of prior works by CORDE OBLIQUE. The project synergy, in which one's listening pleasure is enhanced from tune to tune and peaks from the cumulative effects, is not reaching me. While it's lovely background music this time around, I crave a bit more from even my mellow prog. 3.5 stars rounded down.

kenethlevine | 3/5 |