King Crimson - In The Court Of The Crimson King CD (album) cover

IN THE COURT OF THE CRIMSON KING

King Crimson

thebig_E
4 stars 4.5 stars. Arguably the first true progressive rock album, and one of the finest of the genre. I don't think it's perfect though. There are some things that stop it from being a perfect album. In The Court Of The Crimson King has very strong opening and closing tracks. "21st Century Schizoid Man" and "The Court Of The Crimson King" are fantastic songs. Epic in every sense of the word.

Some weaknesses are, in my opinion, "I Talk To The Wind" and "Moonchild". I'm always waiting for "I Talk To The Wind" to take off and go into a different musical section, but it stays the same for 6 minutes. It features a nice flute solo at the end which goes into "Epitaph", a song that I have no problems with. However, the song after, "Moonchild" is good for the first 2 and a half minutes but then goes into a long improvised bit that has no real structure.

Maybe there is more to these songs in the middle of the album that I'm not getting. The 2 at the start and the end are excellent however. Can I recommend an album based on 2 songs? Yes, yes I can.

thebig_E | 4/5 |