King Crimson - In The Wake Of Poseidon CD (album) cover

King Crimson

4 stars I don't know, many say it's a carbon copy of ITCOTCK, but I think I enjoy this album more than the former. I think it's less cold. Some minor lineup changes, mainly the absence of wind master Ian Mcdonald. However the talented Mel Collins fills his place.

The songs strangely relate to In the Court, Pictures of a City/Schizoid Man, Cadence & Cascade/I Talk To the Wind, In the Wake of Poseidon/Epitaph, Devils Triangle/Moonchild (Mostly due to both not having much content)

But musically, it is a superb album and the similarity factor doesn't ruin it for me. My favourite is probably the title track, it has such a great epic quality to it. "Devil's Triangle" to me is mostly filler, it is not unlike ELP's Abaddon's Bolero, that it is a riff repeated for the length of the song, with minor differences in sound. The quirky "Cat Food" is a welcome addition, I haven't quite heard Crimson like that since.

If you listen to this album with the premeditation that it's a clone of ITCOTKC, you will enjoy it less than if you woud have taken it as a unique release. Reccomended for fans of the first!

OGTL | 4/5 |