Dream Theater - Awake CD (album) cover

AWAKE

Dream Theater

Bupie
4 stars Prog-metal at its best.

I think DT has a wide range of fans, coming from different musical backgrounds and tastes. Of course, some of them are pure metalheads and I guess Awake should be their first choice in DT's catalogue because, of the band two most metal albums -Awake and Train of Thought- Awake is far ahead in terms of inspiration and diversity.

Well, unfortunately, I am not a metal fan and some songs here leave me cold, especially "Lie" . which was chosen by the band as the first and only single to be issued from the album. Logically, I also have troubles with the other most metal sounding tracks : "The Mirror", "Scarred" and "Voices". Obviously, those are not bad but they just are not my cup of tea.

Still, I have got plenty to enjoy from this album. "Innocence Faded", for instance, represents everything I like in DT, this twisting and challenging yet accessible blend of melodic and heavy rock. The same could be told from "Lifting Shadows off a Dream".

"The Silent Man" and "Space Dye Vest" are the two slow songs of the album and I love both of them. The first one is a classic acoustic ballad with an extra-short but awesome solo from John Petrucci ; the second is a desperate and romantic love (hate ?) song closing perfectly the Kevin Moore's era of the band.

And it's not over because you also get and incredible instrumental, "Erotomania", a groovy "jazz/metal" opener, "6:00", and a shorter classic metal song with an anthemic (does this word exist ?) chorus, "Caught In a Web".

So it seems that I should listen to Awake more often but I don't do so because of its two major flaws : at 75:00 it is obviously overlong and it contains some metal songs that don't move me. Take "The Mirror", "Lie" and "Scarred" off the record and you will have a perfect 50:00 album. But I would be lynched by hundred thousands of fans if I tried the move. So it will be another 4 stars album in my DT collection.

Bupie | 4/5 |