Van Der Graaf Generator - Pawn Hearts CD (album) cover

PAWN HEARTS

Van Der Graaf Generator

thebig_E
4 stars I might be going against the popular opinion on this site, but this is not one of the best progressive rock albums to me. This highly-rated album is still one that I like, just not as much as some other people. A couple of reasons: all of the songs start off nicely but soon go into dissonance and darkness; maybe not the music for me since I like Yes and Genesis. Also, the production makes the music either too quiet or too loud. This is probably a nitpick but it just doesn't sound right to me. Some of the softer parts like the "killer lives inside me" bit off "Man-Erg" are quite good. The group's members are all talented and I will admit Peter Hammill has an interesting voice.

Track 1: "Lemmings (Including Cog)" - This is an okay opener. It sets the dark tone of the album right away. One negative point that I have with it is that the song doesn't really end so much as die down. It is still an acceptable opening track. 6.5/10

Track 2: "Man-Erg" - Now this is my favourite song on the album. As I mentioned before, the "killer lives inside me" chorus is very good; emotional and dramatic without sounding preachy. It actually reminds me a bit of Elton John. The track slows down a bit at the 5 minute mark and has some lovely saxophone playing in this section. 9/10

Track 3: "A Plague of Lighthouse Keepers" - I like some parts of this song, mainly the beginning and end. The song starts out as another ballad like the previous song but goes into the doomy atmosphere again. The section at the end with guitar solo and static electricity is probably the best part of the song for me. This is a good song as well, just not as consistent. 8/10

I would still recommend that you check out this album to see if you like it. Good, but not the best starting point for exploring this band's music.

thebig_E | 4/5 |