Steve Hackett - Darktown CD (album) cover

DARKTOWN

Steve Hackett

Second Life Syndrome
4 stars Darkness. Pitch black night. Those are the feelings you get from this interesting release from Hackett, one of the world's foremost guitarists. He may be that, but I must say that I am far more impressed with his ability to craft insanely unique and gripping songs. "Darktown" is no different, though it is different in tone than many of his works.

This particular album features the sax chops of Ian McDonald, and what an addition he is! There nothing much like a dark, bass-driven song that features peals of saxophone lightning streaking through the blackness. The title track presents this perfectly through a somber mood, a creative vibe, and a deep voice. Sure, this album still contains Hackett's amazing guitar abilities and his airy vocals, but many of the tracks are very, very different.

Hackett is the master of variety. On the same album, we get dark movements, folksy tunes, simple ballads, and something akin to a moody epic. You just won't find this anywhere else. All the while, the performances are top notch and the theme is somehow never lost.

I don't like this album as much as some of his others, however, because I do feel it gets a little lost in the last half. The songs are still excellent, but they lack a certain cohesion that the first half has. That said, this album is still amazing, if a bit 90s, and really showcases some awesome guitar and saxophone moments. I highly recommend it.

Second Life Syndrome | 4/5 |