Dredg - Leitmotif CD (album) cover

LEITMOTIF

Dredg

OpethGuitarist
2 stars The rebirth?

Dredg is often cited as being a band that could inspire the rebirth of prog. While certainly having a distinct sound, much of it is all too mainstream for my tastes. Leitmotif is their most "angry" release and sounds not to dissimilar from many hardcore bands. Largely because of this, and the last track on the record, I find this release to be very immature and naive.

Now, I don't mean that in an insulting way, as if the members themselves are deviants; but rather, that they really didn't know what to do with the record, so they took the "safe route" by adding the hardcore connections. Essentially, much of this is unnecessary. It seems they took this path so that the record was sellable, rather than because it was the musical choices they wanted to take.

There is a substantial amount of "groove" on this record, which does help it. Unfortunately, the out of place aggression severely hurts the album, as it seems disingenuous and lacks emotion - seeming much more fake than moving (yes, how ironic, seeing as this band is often considered emo-prog). The closer of the album doesn't help, which should have just been wiped completely from the record.

I won't argue with other collabs as to El Cielo being the better record. However, much of this does not suit me, and if as others say, this is the future of prog, and we see bands spawn in a similar vein to this, I can't help but be a bit disappointed.

OpethGuitarist | 2/5 |