Eloy - Eloy CD (album) cover

ELOY

Eloy

Psychedelic/Space Rock

presdoug
5 stars Wow, this album impressed me from the get go. It is not much heralded by fans of the band, so I wondered what i was getting into, but was pleasantly pleased with the sonic result.

This self titled debut album is definitely a showcase of the band's heavy prog past, with a tiny bit of spaciness thrown in for good measure. And this is REALLY great heavy prog at that. The songs are cerebral, a touch quirky, but never trite, always holding your interest with their nifty time changes and such. And the atmosphere created is real krautrock, back when the term just meant "German rock"-i really dig the early seventies, continental European vibe to "Eloy".

I love this record. I never thought that they would surpass their second opus "Inside", but the debut holds it's own with that great second album of theirs. The songs are complex enough that one can come back to this recording over and over without loosing interest in the cohesive spirit it displays. I feel the recording is good enough to warrant the designation "essential". Five stars.

presdoug | 5/5 |