Anathema - Alternative 4 CD (album) cover

ALTERNATIVE 4

Anathema

Experimental/Post Metal

OpethGuitarist
4 stars Pink Floyd? Tool? Radiohead? Excellent regardless.

Anathema is one of those bands that is difficult to pin down. Their sound is reminiscent of many other bands, yet the sound has never been easy to express. In this manner, I would say the band is more like Agalloch, another band for which there are insufficient words in the English language to describe them properly. Alternative 4 is a dark, atmospheric piece of music with many surprisingly uplifting melodies.

I much prefer Cavanagh's vocals, which remind me somewhat of the vocals for Riverside in their warm, yet dark nature. The tracks are fairly consistent throughout, with no noticeable weak segments, with my favorite being Fragile Dreams, largely because of the "dark clean" verses which particularly captivate me.

I would also suggest this as one of the better places to start with the band. It's not as experimental as some of their later releases and not as doom oriented as their earlier ones, yet still maintains a professional artistic quality that is difficult to find. An atmospheric and impressive band that for some reason or another, never attracted much attention.

OpethGuitarist | 4/5 |