Devil Doll - The Sacrilege of Fatal Arms CD (album) cover

Devil Doll

4 stars Beautiful.

An artistic masterpiece. A stunning display of craftsmanship and artistic intelligence. I won't lie, you need to be a bit crazy to like this. Take the oddities of VDGG's Peter Hammill and multiply that 10 fold. First of all, despite this running 79 minutes, it isn't exactly a song. Sure, we have a recurring theme we hear pop up every now and then that gives us some sense of normalcy, but this is more an experience than an actual piece of music.

There's so many intricacies to this record, so many subtleties, so many strokes of genius that you may find your jaw dropping in mere awe. I don't find this record "scary" by any means. I embrace it. I let it all in. Let it fill up every conscious muscle in my body. The Hyde like vocals, the sharp leads, the military chants, the orchestral sweeps and the droning. It's immaculately constructed, and completely original (except maybe it's similarity to other Devil Doll works).

This surely will be a hit or miss album purely by its design. However, for those a bit on the weird side, you may find solace here with the works of Devil Doll, which are not scary, cold, and distant, but a breathtaking experience that few artists could capture. Beautiful. Absolutely beautiful.

OpethGuitarist | 4/5 |