Dream Theater - Train Of Thought CD (album) cover

TRAIN OF THOUGHT

Dream Theater

darkmatter
3 stars 3.5 stars. Train of Thought is by far Dream Theater's heaviest and probably darkest album to date, which is good and bad. First off, let me say that it took me a while to get into this album. I first heard this album when my brother would play it (I think it was his first DT album), and I didn't like it, I thought it was way too heavy. Needless to say, this album was not my gateway DT (that was Six Degrees). However, I can say that I appreciate this album much more now than I could upon first listening to it.

Now onto the music. Train of Thought starts out heavy but strong with "As I Am". "This Dying Soul" is the heaviest song on the album, and the second part of the AA saga. It is a very good song, but too heavy at points. The next two songs, "Endless Sacrifice" and "Honor Thy Father" are both good songs, but nothing special. After the first four songs, the album really gets going. "Vacant" is the only soft song on the album, and a very good one at that, I find it very pleasant to listen to. It leads into the next song, "Stream of Consciousness", and excellent song which I believe is the best song on the album and perhaps one of DT's best instrumentals. It is a stunning song, very well played and I really enjoy the mood of it. The finale, "In the Name of God", is a great song from beginning to end. I thoroughly enjoy it.

I would say "Train of Thought" is overall a very good album, but the heaviness does not always appeal to me. I would still recommend it to any metal fans.

darkmatter | 3/5 |