Arco Iris - Arco Iris CD (album) cover

Arco Iris

4 stars Usually, late 60's/early 70's albums are not my favorites. It's just not my favorite kind of sound, simple as that. In addition, Psychedelic Rock in general is not my favorite genre as well. However, every now and then we find pearls. And this is one of them! Arco Iris (Rainbow) is a band from Argentina that recorded many records throughout the 70's. Their self-titled debut album is a great album that I can barely say it's Psychedelic. Sure, there are many elements of Psychedelic music here, but I would say that they play a strong Proto- Prog kind of sound. The Prog elements are all here but not quite matured yet.

In addition, the Pop flavor is all around, you can sing along with half of tunes and the other half are more experimental in a way.

I would expect this kind of album from any English band from late 60's, that's where the sound came from anyway. But as I mentioned, every now and then we have some bands like Arco Iris or Os Mutantes (from Brazil) that defies all the major league countries and record true great albums.

Arco Iris (1970) was re-released a couple of times in Argentina, including a 2004 version (with Bonus tracks) and a recent re-edition in Cardboard Sleeve. If you find it? buy it. It'll be worthy!

ProgShine | 4/5 |