Astralis - Bienvenida Al Interior  CD (album) cover

BIENVENIDA AL INTERIOR

Astralis

erik neuteboom
4 stars A BIG HAND FOR THE NEW LATIN-AMERICAN PROG, PART ONE!!

This is the debut CD by Chilean four piece band, I hope they will release many more, what a beautiful, often compelling music! I would like to analyse this album song-by-song.

Bienvenida Al Interior : A melodic and alternating sound featuring pleasant and modern keyboards, propulsive guitar riffs, howling guitar, warm Spanish vocals and lost of shifting moods. A great start, gentlemen!

Nocturno Urbano : After a spacey intro the atmosphere changes into a kind of 'symphonic blues' with moving guitarwork (like Nick Barrett from Pendragon), this in combination with 'choir-Mellotron-like keyboards' carries me away to Progheaven.

Novento Y Nueve : This long track (12 minutes) contains lots of variety, strong play on guitar and keyboards and inspired vocals, the music often reminds me of early Marillion, this is neo-prog at its best!

Doble Arcoiris : After a spacey synthesizer intro and fragile guitar with soaring keyboards, a slow rhythm with piano and synthesizer solo follows but this song is build upon the wonderful, often moving guitar play, goose bumps.

Bajo El Domo De Cristal : Another composition with lots of shifting moods, I am delighted about the beautiful, very moving guitar solo and a captivating break with an impressive church-organ sound.

Kinnara : This final track (10 minutes) contains in the first part a blend of dreamy parts with soaring keyboards and sumptuous pieces with sparkling piano and sensitive guitar. Then we can enjoy a Brian May inspired guitar interlude with echo and fiery runs, culminating in a final part featuring an up-tempo with flashy keyboards and propulsive guitar.

This CD is highy recommended to all early Marillion and Pendragon freaks, what a wonderful and moving neo-prog album!

erik neuteboom | 4/5 |