Anderson Bruford Wakeman  Howe - Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman, Howe CD (album) cover

Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe

2 stars So four of the five members of the 'classic' YES reunite. What did they produce?

They produced a competent-at-best album from what sounds more like a YES tribute band. The songs are all well within the band members' capabilities, and there are no surprises. Pleasant listening - but when were these musicians supposed to be pleasant?

The context of this album is well known: the gradual disintegration of the 'classic' YES lineup in the late '70s, followed by the re-made '80s YES as '80s Rabin-rockers. This album signaled a return to the 'classic' period, and I and my friends were excited when first we slapped this vinyl on the platter. But it didn't take us long to realise there are only hints here of what YES were in the early '70s. I seldom play this record, and whenever I do, it still sounds juiceless.

People wishing to explore YES should, of course, begin with the classic albums 'The Yes Album', 'Fragile' and 'Close to the Edge'. The rest of their pre-1981 output is worth a listen. I also believe '90125' should be in your collection, but for different reasons. This, however, should not be.

russellk | 2/5 |