Oko - Raskorak CD (album) cover

RASKORAK

Oko

MJAben
2 stars My dad was a huge prog-head and still remains to be a great source of material and information for me. When he was just out of high school he decided to travel across eastern Europe, he was at a record shop in Yugoslavia looking for some interesting music to take home and more or less on a whim bought this album. A couple of weeks ago I was in his basement leafing through his several boxes of old records when I happened to come across this one, asking my dad what this was he simply shrugged and told me bought it in Yugoslavia, saying that it sounded like a Deep Purple with a little bit of fusion thrown in here and there. Intrigued I put the album on and gave it a listen and, in truth, I find it a difficult album to rate.

It's not bad, it does the hard rock / blues style of Deep Purple and Uriah Heep decently well and then on songs like 'Tema IV' seems to switch quite suddenly to jazz rock. It is an odd album in that it doesn't seem to know whether or not it wants to be hard rock, jazz rock or prog and will rarely be any two of them at the same time (never all three) which makes this an inconsistent album to say the least.

That being said, the musicianship is actually quite good and to be perfectly fair they do all styles decently well. The singing isn't great and the production is quite poor but, despite these things, the music itself is, more often than not, good.

I know virtually nothing about Yugoslavia, less about the Yugoslavian prog scene and even less about the language so I am forced to rate the album on the quality of the music itself.

It's good, the songs aren't always memorable but part of that may be the language barrier. I feel the first half is stronger and more consistent than the second half but that's not to say that the second half is bad, only weaker. I would say that the first half is a 3 star album and the second is probably more of a 2 star album.

On the whole however, I think I need to keep this album as a two star rating, it is good, at times very interesting and it never reaches the point of becoming downright bad... It perhaps begins to overstay its welcome but I never wanted to stop listening at any point and enjoyed the album throughout. That being said, it isn't always prog, the quality isn't great and the music is at times mediocre, even if it is enjoyable.

A nice addition if you can find it, but not worth the fortune it's going for nowadays.

2.5/5