Blackfield - Blackfield CD (album) cover

3 stars PORCUPINE TREE Lite. The purpose of a side project, I would have thought, is to produce music without the expectational shackles of the main band. But BLACKFIELD is indelibly c.2000 PORCUPINE TREE, without the more sophisitcated and progressive moments.

Not that the music or performances are bland - far from it. This album really is worth a listen. Aviv Geffen adds an interesting flavour to the Steve Wilson stew. This is smooth rock music.

But it is not value for money. These days, to offer 36 minutes of music is really not enough. i repeat, a side project should open a new window on to the musicians. We do get a wondow here, but it is only open briefly, and we see much the same view we've become accustomed to.

russellk | 3/5 |