Frequency Drift - Over CD (album) cover

Frequency Drift

3 stars Frequency Drift is back again. They are becoming one of the more prolific prog artists around, with this being their 5th album in just the last 6 years. Well, I think it's time for the band to take a break.

I really like most of their prior albums, and I even had their last album, "Laid to Rest", in my top 10 for 2012. But this new album just doesn't do it for me. I mean, it's OK, but to me the songwriting is ordinary compared to their prior work. The new vocalist, Isa Fallenbacher, is competent enough, but pales next to the great vocals of Antje Auer. And the addition of the occasional heavy guitars also detracts.

I had to really concentrate while listening to this album, because about half way through, I felt my mind drifting. I'm feeling generous in giving this 3 stars. But overall, I consider this album a disappointment.

emperorken | 3/5 |