Rush - Counterparts  CD (album) cover

COUNTERPARTS

Rush

MJAben
2 stars A dull tedious album that does little to differentiate from any other standard hard rock outfit in the early 90s. I have to be honest with my review here, I am not a huge Rush fan. Even in their glory days I find them to usually be little more than a highly stylized, quite technical hard rock outfit and that, generally, their music could easily be said to not be prog. I find that's a useless distinction to make and falls into useless generalities and pigeonholing as, nevertheless, there are certainly progressive elements within Rush... Through and through.

That being said, those elements are completely gone here. The music is well played, well produced, catchy and groovy. Gone are the keyboards that overshadowed any other music in the early 80s, gone are the lighter, softer albums that bored Rush fans to tears in fact it seems as though every aspect of classic Rush seems to be back with this album except for one.

Gone is the adventurous nature, any sense of ambition or any need / want to push any envelope. A band that once walked its own path has joined the hordes of hard rock bands around them and have become the status quo that they once would diverge from. To put it simply this album is tame, it's safe, it's a calculated album that serves no other purpose than crowd pleasing. I don't mean to argue that there's anything wrong with that, it's a tactic, it's a business but on the whole it seems disingenuous to the progressive rock genre.

Musically, this album falls somewhere between two and three stars. It's a good album, truly, but at the same time it's only worthwhile to fans of the band or the genre. Lyrically this album is banal, completely boring... Lacking of any originality or purpose beyond simple lyrics to hook people into the song. I do think the albums that surround this one are far worse than this, at least this is perfectly listenable. That being said you aren't going to find any new or interesting material here.

2 stars.