Dream Theater - Live At The Marquee CD (album) cover

LIVE AT THE MARQUEE

Dream Theater

Marcelo
2 stars Perhaps I'm losing something, but... I can't understand why DT is one of the most popular bands at this and another sites. DT has the best drummer and one of the best guitar players -I recognize these points- but what about music?

I heard a couple of DT albums before (both considered "masterpieces") but, to my ears, this is a metal band adding some (few) hard prog touches. Songs have nice moments in the middle of violence and lots of screaming vocals, and even the ballads are previsible and uninspired, almost elementary.

IMHO, "Live At The Marquee" is in the same vein. All tracks are very well played and it's posible to find enjoyable moments at "Metropolis Pt. I" and "A Fortune In Lies". "Bombay Vindaloo" is an improvisation that becomes in the highlight by far, while the rest is uneven and -sometimes- noisy music (specially "Pull Me Under", I don't know why a classic in the band's repertoire).

I apologize with DT fans (and they are a lot!), but I think that fast and powerful music without beauty isn't a good option for progressive ears.

Marcelo | 2/5 |