Univers Zero - Phosphorescent Dreams CD (album) cover

PHOSPHORESCENT DREAMS

Univers Zero

RIO/Avant-Prog

Nogbad_The_Bad
5 stars I always look forward to a new Univers Zero album though I have to admit to a sense of trepidation given that this album would feature a new line-up. I first heard of the new line up in the run up to the Rock In Opposition festival when it was announced that Michel Berckmans (Bassoon & Oboe), Pierre Chevalier (Keyboards) & Martin Lauwers (Violin) had been replaced by Nicolas DechÍne (Electric Guitar) & Antoine Guenet (Keyboards).

Daniel had clearly decided to move to a more stripped down rock sound with fewer orchestral instruments. If it is an experiment it can be said to have worked. The sound is different but it is clearly Univers Zero, still bears a lot of their hallmarks and distinctive sound. Kurt Bude steps up on this record providing half the song writing on the album. It's a welcome addition to the album as Kurt's tracks are as strong as Daniels.

While I certainly miss Michel's Bassoon & Oboe which have been signature sounds for Univers Zero for many years. But the electric guitar is a welcome edgy addition. This album continues the renaissance started with Clivages. I view both these recent albums as almost as good as the classic 1313 to Heatwave run. Highly Recommended to all UZ fans.

Nogbad_The_Bad | 5/5 |