Captain Beefheart - Trout Mask Replica CD (album) cover

TROUT MASK REPLICA

Captain Beefheart

RIO/Avant-Prog

russellk
3 stars Well now, what have we here? Only one of the most controversial recordings ever. An album important enough to appear both in the publication '1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die' and on a The Rolling Stone's Top 100 albums list, and maligned enough to feature on many 'worst records of all time' lists. This should tell you all you need to know ...

... but you're still reading, so I'll add that a typical reaction to this record is to hate it at first, respect it after a while, and end up liking or even loving it.

What's it like? Well, it's recognisably American, a pastiche of American musical sensibilities, with clever lyrics. It's not an album of great tunes. It's as near to high-brow art as music comes. It's music to be understood, not enjoyed (at least not at first). If that's not what you want to do with music, don't buy it. Personally, I fall short of declaring it a masterpiece: I do think music ought to make its way to your head via your heart.

This record is not essential by any means. But if you want something different, you'll find it here.

russellk | 3/5 |