Van Der Graaf Generator - Godbluff Live 1975 CD (album) cover

Van Der Graaf Generator

3 stars A treat from Hammill.

VDGG's only DVD release is quite a good one, if not the fact that we must remember it is material from over 30 years ago, so the quality of it is not so great. Lighthouse wasn't exactly made for a live performance, but they pull it off admirably, and I can't really envision the song being done better on a live setting given its eccentricities.

I guess the downside to this is because of poor production quality (in comparison to now) I can't imagine non-VDGG fans enjoying this. Of course, I'd love to be proven wrong. Some sections are difficult to follow unless you are familiar with the material. The highlight for me was the work of Banton.

If you love what I consider the "peak" years of VDGG, from 72-76, you'll love the addition of this DVD to your collection. Gives you an inside look at the madmen who led this extraordinary band in the 70's.

OpethGuitarist | 3/5 |