Dedalus - Dedalus CD (album) cover

DEDALUS

Dedalus

Suedevanshoe
4 stars What led me to try this album is the cover. It coulda been Michael Buble but because of the cover I'd have given it a shot. When my ears heard subdued fusion of the classic '70's variety I was hooked. Sax and keys seem to drive the music, however there is a lot of guitar and cello.

This record sounds like it exists in a universe a half octave out of tune with our own. It has aged like premium cheddar and sounds nothing like its contemporaries. The sound transcends jazzrock, fusion, and progressive fusion labels, establishing an undiscovered sonic template that remains largely unexplored.

The only other experience I've had like this is when I listened to Shuggie Otis' "Inspiration Information" the first 25 or so times. It's a record that is of it's time, but doesn't belong to it. It's groundbreaking without really breaking any new ground.

4.5 stars a real find for adventurous fusion fanatics - even house and fans of party music will find something to like. It's a fun album saddled with unfun labels.

Suedevanshoe | 4/5 |