Anubis Gate - Anubis Gate CD (album) cover

Anubis Gate

4 stars Anubis Gate impressed me favourably on Andromeda Unchained, and whilst they don't exactly lose me on this self-titled album they don't seem to show a substantial development of their sound. It's good, solid progressive metal with a sound that's based around the Dream Theater model but which incorporates enough classic metal influences to appeal to power metal listeners as well. It's all rather pleasant, but I don't think it's the quantum leap above their previous work that's really called for when you decide to release an eponymous album this late in your career, and I don't think it quite approaches the prog metal top tier to the extent that previous releases by the band did.
Warthur | 4/5 |