Van Der Graaf Generator - Pawn Hearts CD (album) cover

Van Der Graaf Generator

4 stars Extremely complex album, it requires a huge amount of listenings before understanding this album, for me at least. Just like the singer Peter Hammill once said, it's an onion that has many surfaces, just keep on peeling it.

Featuring three tracks this album shouldn't be too hard to understand, but there's so many of those 'surfaces' that you have to peel to get inside it. Talk about progressive. This record is still ahead of it's time with it's fascinating arrangements and bouncing rhythms. I haven't got any favourite track, all three of them manage to keep me in their hold. Van der Graaf Generator always has this weird calming effect on me, though their music is sometimes even aggresive, and in this album there's that same aggressive atmosphere surrounded by Hammills calming voice. This album sure is worth trying, though you have to peel it a bit.

Lasagne | 4/5 |