Ezra Winston - Ancient Afternoons CD (album) cover

ANCIENT AFTERNOONS

Ezra Winston

bertolino
5 stars Ancient Afternoons may have a place in my "top ten desert island..." in prog, and within the nineties, no doubt it figures very high. Yes, the pastoral side of early Genesis is preeminent, as the romanticism and folk influence of the 70's italian school. But all is so well integrated, the construction surprisingly reminds me of another great band of that period, Anglagard,even if the sound greatly differs as each one reveals his national origin. Vocals are not great but still unintrusive. Others have mentioned the appreciated inclusion of flutes and horns to vary the sound, and i do agree much to this point. At the end the gratest quality of the music is that all the musicians are suborned to the music, no long solos or free virtuosity even if all are top notch la Anglagard (still), even if keybords really shine.

I remember the first time i put Ancient Afternoons in the CD player, in those times i turned to other genres than prog music; it truly caught me back with expectations that there could still be something good in prog for the coming new century. And there is!

bertolino | 5/5 |