Arcane - Chronicles of the Waking Dream CD (album) cover

3 stars Arcane was recommended by some reviewers who shared my enthusiasm for several obscure prog metal bands from all over the world. Yes, I still consider this metal despite the softer parts. When they are not soft or melancholic, they are definitely metal. Yet, despite enthusiasm from my peers, I think this is good, but not more. I am reminded of Haken with their mix of cinematic metal and more introspective alternative rock with its piano-ish synths and build-ups. Maybe less pompous and more introspective, but ultimately less adventorous. There are some parts that I like, such as the "Celtic prog" break in Mailce and emotional build-up of Fading. But ultimately by the end it gets too tedious for my ears.
Progrussia | 3/5 |