Porcupine Tree - In Absentia CD (album) cover

IN ABSENTIA

Porcupine Tree

asimplemistake
5 stars Porcupine Tree is truly an amazing band. I heard of them through my dentist (he's a cool dude), so I went and listened to "The Sound of Muzak" and knew I had to get this album. Before that time, I mainly just listened to Progressive Metal, stuff like Symphony X and Dream Theater, but by listening to this album, I've grown an appreciation of many musical genres, especially ambient and psychedelic/space rock.

This album can be considered a concept album with the theme of serial killers, but please do not think that this music is in any way "evil" (To be more exact, it has been interpreted as an investigation of insanity and serial killing). Most of the songs have that theme except for "The Sound of Muzak" (a criticism of the music industry). The theme for the rest of the album is kinda odd for such beautiful music, but I'm used to the odder themes and in fact like the way Porcupine Tree does it a lot. The lyrics are amazing, very well thought out. Steve does a great job with the harmonies, and sings very well in his upper range.

As for the other musicians, I really love Gavin and his drumming - he does a perfect job of creating a groove that the other musicians can then fit into. Although Colin Edwin doesn't really "shine" in any parts, this album would be missing a lot without him. The structure created by the bass is vital in this album. Richard also does a great job with the keys. His atmospheres are the icing on the cake.

This album is full of the use of ambient sounds during the quieter parts which I find really adds to the album. Songs such as "Lips of Ashes" and ".3" are full of beautiful sounds that really come alive in a good listening enviroment. The production on this album is amazing, and the songwriting is even better.

Out of all of Porcupine Tree's works, this is my favorite album. This CD is absolutely worth buying.

asimplemistake | 5/5 |