Anubis Gate - Andromeda Unchained CD (album) cover

ANDROMEDA UNCHAINED

Anubis Gate

MJAben
3 stars A tight, focused and consistent album that adds nothing to the Progressive Metal genre.

I owe a lot to Progressive Metal as a genre, it is the reason I got into Prog and, perhaps more importantly, it is the reason I largely grew out of metal. That's not to say that there isn't good metal, or even good prog metal, all I mean to say by this is that there's a style (a formula if you will) that exists within the genre. This album, exists wholly within that proven formula and although it is a well produced, well crafted and well played it is also an album that seems to lack any imagination / anything to set it apart from the other similar artists.

This leads into another problem I have this band in that they seem to be re-using their same style over and over and over again. I honestly don't understand why this album has a much higher rating than previous albums as, in many ways, its the exact same music just with better production and a new vocalist. Perhaps the instrumentation is a bit tighter but at the same time it feels like the instrumentation itself hasn't changed with regard to any real substance.

This I feel is a common trend within Progressive Metal, Dream Theater has been releasing the same album since 'Octavarium', Circus Maximus has only ever released one album, every Symphony X album aver 'Mythology V' may as well have been retitled 'Mythology VI', 'Mythology VII' ect. ect. you get the idea... My point is that if your new to Progressive Metal or will eat up everything with the Progressive Metal label then this album is great for you, they are solid musicians and great songwriters. If you are looking for a prog-metal album that sounds unique and adds something to the overall genre then this will leave you with a bad taste in your mouth.

3/5 stars -- the best that one of your 'generic prog-metal albums' could do in my eyes.

MJAben | 3/5 |