Tim Blake - Crystal Machine CD (album) cover

CRYSTAL MACHINE

Tim Blake

Progressive Electronic

admireArt
3 stars Space/Rock & Psychedelic Electronics.

I suppose that by 1977, when this Tim Blake's first work appeared, it could even have sounded a bit old-fashioned. Well, after Tangerine Dream's, 1975 "Rubycon" mostly everything else in the prog/electronic world, sounded old-fashioned.

Straight to the point, this "Crystal Machine", Tim Blake's first post Gong and Hawkwind solo effort, owes a lot to some of this genre's pioneers, he is really "composition-wise" not telling a different or "new" story. But he turns out to be an excellent story teller.

By blending various approaches in styling, like "Space/Rock's" basic rhythms with a very 60' psychedelic focus and of course more than enough very!! TD's atmospheres. He kind of makes it a worthwhile experience and maybe an "essential" Prog/Electronic album, depending where you are standing.

I myself first heard TD's "Rubycon", almost at the time of its release (give n' take). So I, as to where I'm standing, I will decieve myself, telling you, it is not annoying more than once, that this record sounds more than a lot, to TD's musical language, than Blake's. This happens to the point of "laughter" in track 1 "Midnight" and "Synthese Intemporel" track 4.

Worst of all, the other 3 tracks are superb!... Which makes it difficult to just miss or throw away into oblivion. A real shame!

What makes this 3 tracks work perfectly, is that they do not rely on synthesizers alone, nor their "pulses". They are by far more "unique" because the composer establishes a more "experimental" tone, and a more relaxed atmosphere with additions of other "flavors" to the mix.

So! Kind of hard to rate, but 2 out of 5, sets this one only for true "electronic" followers>"

I myself will further into Tim Blake's solo discography.

***3.5 PA stars