The Mars Volta - Frances The Mute CD (album) cover

FRANCES THE MUTE

The Mars Volta

Prog-jester
3 stars That was the most ambitious CD from MARS VOLTA - before "Amputechture" has arrived. Supplied with 30-min long epic, it should have been a Masterpiece from the era. Sorry, I'm not from your crowd.

I liked TMV's debut when I got it - concise, short but energetic and proggy songs with that Psychedelic feel. Now they just made these concise songs longer - without any further development, only wondering around playing the same riff over and over again. Don't get me wrong, I like Modern Prog and impatiently look forward to another TMV stuff, but that was too much. A mind revolution for the children of MTV, but for those who at least familiar with THE DOORS and LED ZEPPELIN...you got the point I guess. Nice but overrated as hell. A funny thing, but the name-sake outtake "Frances the Mute" I heard on single is far better than the whole album taken together!

Recommended but don't tell me then that I didn't warn you. BTW, back to letters - TMV is almost MTV...;)

Prog-jester | 3/5 |