Beyond Twilight - For The Love Of Art And The Making CD (album) cover

FOR THE LOVE OF ART AND THE MAKING

Beyond Twilight

mono
3 stars 3,5 stars actually.

I would qualify this Beyond Twilight album as ... pretentious.

As usual, brilliant musicianship by the whole band, but this album is not an epic as it aims to be. Not enough consistency for my taste, many filler riffs, incoherent passages sometimes linking in a sensless way. It's like the band (or Finn Zieler) got to a point where the creative flow was so intense it bursted out savagely... You can feel arrangements, specially keyboards, were added to fill some apparent voids, and I think "For The Love Of Art And The Making" could have been one excellent 20-minute epic in a more complete album, like the last of a 5-to-6-track masterpiece.

Still, I can't deny the many qualities this good album carries. Some excellent riffs, remaining simple and effiscient escaping clichés and some amazing rythmics along the way, with nice drumming. A mix of heavy metal, classical, goth, and even some jazz. Great production for a hard album, with precise sounds and perfect balance, even if some parts are too "crowded" for my taste.

Compared to their two other albums, especially the excellent "The Devil's Hall Of Fame", this album is a logic continuation, but in my opinion a step lower. Riffs need to be a bit more elaborated with less brutal E-based déja-vu riffs.

This album still deserves to be listened to carefully as it is a good album in many ways.

mono | 3/5 |