Dream Theater - Metropolis Part 2: Scenes From A Memory CD (album) cover

METROPOLIS PART 2: SCENES FROM A MEMORY

Dream Theater

kunangkunangku
5 stars I'm not a metalhead of sort, but, with almost any criteria, for me, this is a five big star progressive metal concept album. There's absolutely no doubt about it.

Here's why:

Firstly, instead of telling an epic story or tackling a grand overarching theme which is common among 1970s prog rock bands, these guys come up with a very intriguing, psychological-mystery regarding a modern man who is haunted by the 1928 murder of a young woman. Apparently these guys want to sit on the shelf with "2112," "The Wall" and "Operation: Mindcrime."

Secondly, dealing with a difficult tale and told the tale in complex fashion (see how there are two acts which separate different parts of the tale) doesn't seem to pose any difficulties for these guys in delivering amazingly, jaw-dropping music. The musicianship, the virtuosity and all are there and so brilliant.

Thirdly, the cohessiveness of the overall composition is so tight in which all the songs flow beautifully into one another, despite intricacies of the structure of several songs.

Because of its nature, in order to be truly appreciated, this remarkable, masterwork album must be listened with every song played in order. I myself particularly like it when the tones of the hypnotherapist, at the beginning, slowly flow into my ears and thrill me and then take me on an audio-induced "orgasmic" ride.

kunangkunangku | 5/5 |