Van Der Graaf Generator - Real Time CD (album) cover

REAL TIME

Van Der Graaf Generator

OpethGuitarist
4 stars An entertaining evening.

VDGG brings the energy and packs the house. What can I say? This is one of my favorite live albums, and being a staunch VDGG fan helps. I would have liked to see a little different set list but this must suffice. For example, World Record should have been cut off and more credit given towards Still Life, but I digress.

There's always this strange feeling I have in VDGG live settings. Everything seems disjumbled. Everything seems out of place, in a wrong area. But for some reason, as the songs ebb and flow, it works. I don't know what it is exactly, maybe my ears don't work properly, but it makes for a very interesting experience. Apart from this, Hammill is on and sounds wonderful, if you happen to enjoy Hammill.

If you're wanting a modern production of classic prog, I can't think of a better choice than this album. No, it's not the most astounding performance ever nor does it have what I would deem "the good stuff", but it is an astounding achievement by a band that managed to stay more or less true to their roots for their whole career, and that's saying something.

OpethGuitarist | 4/5 |