Gazpacho - Night CD (album) cover

NIGHT

Gazpacho

bertolino
3 stars I bought this one last week, following all the hype and 5 stars credits i've read on this site. So i feel obliged to put the break on all the enthusiasm generated here. It may, indeed be the future of prog, fusioning with post rock and techno la Radiohead, something most of fellow reviewers have mentioned. But, like another reviewer have accurately said, it may be a case of specific sound. So here we have a cold scandinavian outfit, a sometimes neurasthenic singer with still a very pleasant voice, reminiscent for me mainly of Pineapple Thief (a big deception to my ears at a time); songs are pretty long but not overtly complex, being nicely arranged if one is looking for a "prog stigmata" in their compositions. As mentioned, Radiohead, Porcupine Tree and the likes come to mind while the're not truly derivative. Still, for me, they failed where Landberk's Indian Summer has succeeded: to keep a cohesive nostalgic sound growing in intensity in each song while not going for these alternative rock guitar riffs which burst into the music of Gaspacho. iIwould probably greatly enjoy this record otherwise. Saying that it is a quiet or intimate piece of work which demand to be listened in velvet atmosphere truly depends on which side of (metallic) prog you are...

Last caution, it may grow on me, as the quieter passages, and the propositions of acoustic instruments in the sound still please me enough. A suspended 3 stars for me to lower the pace.

bertolino | 3/5 |