Yes - Fragile CD (album) cover

4 stars Fragile is an excellent album but by no means is it perfect!

As you will have read many times before me, 'Roundabout', 'South Side of the Sky', 'Long Distance Runaround' & 'Heart of the Sunrise' are very highly regarded, whereas the "solo spots", ie 'Cans & Brahms', 'We Have Heaven', 'The Fish' & 'Five Percent for Nothing' are liked less.

I think that 'Roundabout' is an excellent song, flawless in composition and execution. 'South Side...' is also good, even though it drags a bit in the middle section. 'Long Distance...' is much more lighthearted than the rest of the songs, and I like it, very quirky and catchy. 'Heart of the Sunrise' is very good, but personally I think that the live version on "Yessongs" should be regarded as the definitive version, it just has that 'X factor' that makes it a million times better than the studio version- i can't really explain it. The rest, unfortunatly, is filler. I can't believe that people are willing to let this pass! No matter how much i like 'The Fish' (great bass instrumental) and 'Mood for a Day', I have to admit that they are both album filler; they are just more interesting than the other filler tracks. 'Five Percent..' is pointless noise, 'Cans & Brahms' sounds like an abandoned solo idea, and 'We Have Heaven' like a demo in vocal overdubbing.

So, it could never acheive 5 stars, but seeing as the filler takes up less than half of the total run time, it shouldn't be awarded less than three stars. However, because of 'Roundabout', I'm willing to round up- but beware of the filler!!

retrorocker | 4/5 |