Rush - 2112 CD (album) cover

2112

Rush

retrorocker
4 stars I only know of one other album with a number for a name (ie 90125) and this is soo much better than that- in a different legue entirely!

The title track is, of course, prog legend, and rightly so. This album saved Rush's career after the dismal faliure of "Caress of Steel", and it is quite obviously because of this track rather than the others. One of the painfully few rock epics that is accepted by both prog fans and metalheads; 2112 is just as rocking as it is prog, juxaposing dreamy segments (ie 'The Oracle' & 'The Discovery') with straightforward hard rock workouts (ie the 'Overture' and the 'Grand Finale'), classic storytelling from Peart binds the concept tightly together and makes it work so well. Not to mention, of course, the mammoth musicianship coming from the trio (insert typical OTT praise for Pearts' drumming, Lees' bass and Lifesons' Guitar work). Nothing bad can really be said about this track, apart from maybe avoid it if you're into easy listening ambiant type music, I suppose. Thundering applause abounds worldwide for this effort.

And the rest? Hmm. Well, I like 'A Passage to Bankok' myself, but I suppose it is a bit average, perhaps. Definatly has more in common with the first Rush album than the following ones. 'The Twilight Zone' seems to be a tribute to that old TV show of the strange and bizarre, an unusual subject for a Rush song, but I like the music to the track, even if the lyrics are silly. 'Tears' is beautiful, but sometimes when I listen to it, it is a bit corny, i suppose. Nice use of strings, though, complements it nicely. 'Lessons', and 'Something for Nothing', I don't really like very much. They are far too generic and smack of filler- also the way the vocals fade out and the outro solo fades in on 'Something..' really annoys me for some reason.

But, of course, despite side two obviously not being as good as the masterpeice title track, Its not that bad really, and it strikes me that it may just be the fact that side two has a tough act to folow that makes it sound slightly bad. So, a much well deserved four stars.

retrorocker | 4/5 |