Triana - Triana (El Patio) CD (album) cover

TRIANA (EL PATIO)

Triana

Chus
4 stars Great Andaluz Prog recommendation.

This is what I expected to find: prog rock embellished with flamenco guitar strumming or "rasgueo" and tasteful "cante jondo" (deep singing) courtesy of Jesus De La Rosa; occasionally brushed with atmospheric keyboard layers and extended jamming sections. Although the song structures can be sometimes grating and some segments serve as simple "space filling" in between themes, I can't leave disgusted in the long run.

Another criticism lies in the overall mood. Where are the "Alegrias"?, where's the variety?; the mood is sometimes overdepressing and can leave you wanting to listen to some Tomatito or Paco De Lucia (even the Gypsy Kings, though they're not the first band on my list).

Musicianship is not an issue; every band member plays the part he is given, and the guitar for the most part is used as accompaniment for the rest of the instruments, including the vocals; In "Todo Es De Color" the guitar, for once, makes accompaniment only with the "cante" or vocals, displaying tasteful chord progressions in Phrygian mode and features nature sounds; I guess I could call it a "Soleá" since almost every other style is derivative.

I feel they could do better than this, but in all, it's a great addition to the prog rock collection. A 3.55 rounded to 4 (to avoid confusions with the rounding system)

Chus | 4/5 |