Cherry Five - Cherry Five CD (album) cover

Cherry Five

Rock Progressivo Italiano

4 stars First of all: I'm not going to bang on about how much like Yes this album sounds like - I shall try to find something original to say... ;)

Cherry Five is an album I have been wanting to hear since I first started listening to Goblin. To be honest, I thought Roller was a much beefier, funkier album, but Cherry Five (which, admittedly, should not really be compared to Goblin at all, but the connection is there and I think it's unavoidable) certainly stands on its own two feet as a well-written and technically brilliant recording from a bunch of virtuoso musicians.

What really draws me to this album is the conceptual consistency (nice alliteration, huh?), with each song adding to an overall tone and story arc which makes the album such a joy to listen to as a whole entity, rather than just a collection of songs. I'm not suggesting that this a concept album (god forbid!) - all I'm saying is that there's no filler tracks to be found on Cherry Five, and I can't imagine popping this CD just to listen to one or two tracks.

Cherry Five takes you on a journey of sound and imagination and, to my ears at least, taking part in that journey is an all-or-nothing proposition.

ollie | 4/5 |