Mostly Autumn - Heart Full of Sky CD (album) cover

HEART FULL OF SKY

Mostly Autumn

Prog Folk

erik neuteboom
4 stars This review is about the 1-CD version, it's the same as CD-1 from the 2-CD Limited Version but 11 tracks, including Further From Home as an extra.

From the very first beginning of this new album by UK proggers Mostly Autumn I am carried away, what a wonderful, dynamic and often compelling music. The first track showcases how matured they have in composing: after a mellow intro featuring beautiful female vocals and soaring keyboards, a mid-tempo with a bombastic atmosphere follows, I love the howling slide-guitar and the wonderful classical orchestrations. The strong duo vocals by Josh and Heather create an extra dimension. We can also enjoy a fiery guitar solo and a dreamy final part with fragile work on guitar and piano and soaring keyboards, what a tasteful and elaborate composition! The promising high level can also be found on the rest of this CD, due to the dynamics and varied instrumentation: compelling and bombastic with duo-vocals, an accellaration with lush Hammond waves, a beautiful violin solo, subtle bagpipe play and wonderful kebyoards in Walk With A Storm, warm vocals, fragile piano and very moving violin, quite intense violin work in Find The Sun, from dreamy with piano to compelling with sensitive electric guitar in Silver Glass and a kind of 'symphonic rock and roll' in Dreaming: a catchy rhythm, fat guitar and powerful duo-vocals. Myhighlight is the song Further From Home: a great build-up, from dreamy with piano, soaring keyboards and sensitive guitar to a compelling rhythm, culminating in a fiery eruption with howling guitar runs, splendid! Then a mid-tempo that leads to a 'grand finale' with again howling guitar and beautiful classical orchestrations, this is Progheaven!

I have heard a lot of albums and I have seen some concerts but I am pleasantly surprised that Mostly Autumn has reached this high level, to me this sounds as their best effort.

erik neuteboom | 4/5 |