Gnidrolog - In Spite Of Harry's Toenail CD (album) cover

3 stars I've just listened to "In Spite of Harry's Toenail" for the very first time. Let me preface my review by saying that I am positively sure that this is the kind of album that requires multiple listenings. That being was similar to witnessing a car wreck; you know something bad is about to happen, but you can't take your eyes off the accident.

The voice of Colin Goldring is harsh, off key and rather high pitched. It makes me cringe. The lyrics are rather simple and often repeated (screamed). This is the main problem I have with this band.

The music, however, is quite good in my opinion. The drums and base are solid, and really set the pace for this band. The guitar work, although good, takes a back seat to the more prominent flute and sax work which is avant-garde in nature...a little Tull, a little Zappa.

I won't get into the individual songs because right now, after one listen, I'm working off of an overall impression....dazed and confused, but definitely entertained.

This is not the type of music that will regularly find a way into my rotation, but on those days when you feel like something completely different (sorry Monty Python) this is your album. Not for everyone though.

In a nutshell, the singing is horrid, the music is bluesy to jazzy, hard driving and often quite avant-garde, but very different and entertaining. Just don't expect the normal musical experience and you won't get hurt.

epictetus1 | 3/5 |